Sunday 22 June 2014

Good deed for the evening

We ate this evening in the Pinecrest Diner on Geary Street just one block up from our hotel.  First, I had chicken noodle soup, but for a main I had grilled marinated pork chops with fries and vegetables.  Jean ordered a Reuben sandwich, consisting of pastrami, melted cheese, sauerkraut and thousand island dressing.  Her meal came with fries.  Bear in mind, meals served in restaurants and cafes in the United States are large.  

By the time I'd eaten nearly all my fries, Jean announced that she was full.  She still had one half of her sandwich uneaten.  Most of her fries were still there.  Jean announced that she would like to ask for a box to put her remaining food into so she could go find someone sleeping rough and give that person a meal.  

On my plate, I still had a full pork chop plus several vegetables: broccoli, carrots, zucchini and squash.  I could have continued eating, but I decided to follow suit.  The boxes arrived, we paid the bill, gave a tip, and hit the streets.  We soon found our first person in a store doorway.  The man had his head down, almost out of sight among his coats and blankets (you definitely need them in San Francisco).  When we mentioned food, his head rose quickly.  He was very grateful to take my pork chop meal.  We headed down the street looking for another target.  We backed up, crossed the street and went past the famous store, Macy's.  Between a couple of trash cans, we found three people sleeping rough.  As before, they were very grateful to accept the Reuben sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment