Thursday 19 June 2014

Sea World, San Diego

Today, we hired a Rav 4 from near Disneyland, and headed south along the Interstate 5 to SeaWorld, San Diego.  I'd not driven before on the wrong side of the road, apart from 10 minutes in Hawaii some years ago.  I was slightly nervous at first but soon got the hang of it.  I kept to the speed limit, not wanting to have the county sherif chase me.  Contrary to what I'd thought, I could actually 'relax' on a five-lane highway where all the cars are going in the same direction. It's just like driving anywhere, including back home.  Otherwise, on ordinary streets, the only thing I really had to bear in mind was with turning - it's a tight right and a loose left.  In car parks, it's problematic.  With a left-hand drive, you worry about hitting an object on the right side of the car.  Thank goodness the accelerator and brakes are in the same place in all cars!

It took two hours to reach SeaWorld, arriving at about 11.20 am.  Over the following seven hours, we enjoyed going on some of the rides as well as watching the shows.  First was a dolphin show, then a whale show - I'm sure the whales were orcas.  We also saw a show called Cirque de la Mer, featuring talented acrobats, climbers and dancers.  In the whale show, the announcer called upon all past and present members of the military to stand up so the crowd could acknowledge them, including from America's allies.  So Jean stood up, and I thought it was kinda nice.  

Later, I took a ride on this elevator thing which lifted riders up high above SeaWorld for a panoramic view.  I think there's room for future expansion.

We didn't really see too many ocean critters at SeaWorld, just the ones mentioned above plus sting rays, walrus, and otherwise beluga whales, which we'd never heard of.  They are white, and apparently live in the arctic.  I believe 'beluga' is Russian for 'white'.  We also saw pink flamingoes.

I drove us back to LA.  We arrived, thankfully, in one piece.  I had no doubts.

Me with our car, parked at SeaWorld.
The entrance to SeaWorld
We saw a dolphin show.
We saw a whale show.
A lady cooking a funnel cake for Jean.
The funnel cake was made of some sort of doughnut material, and contained strawberries in a sauce.
I took a ride offering views of SeaWorld below.
Whales seen from under water.
This trigger fish has been constructed entirely from rubbish collected from the world's oceans.
The sign next to the fish.
Many pink flamingoes live at SeaWorld.
A beluga whale

No comments:

Post a Comment